Developing a healthy balance while celebrating and encouraging positive uses of technology
Parent Connect has been created to provide you with family resources, tutorials and information to inform and educate your family for a healthy digital lifestyle.
Top tips to get started:
- Read Reviews using CommonSenseMedia.org
- Setup OpenDNS, GoogleSafeSearch, YouTube Restricted.
- All screen time is not the same, device free dinners are a healthy choice for modelling balance.
- Actively engage with your kid's media lives.
- Is your kid ready for a Cell Phone?
- Follow the latest trends and advice from the experts here.
"Rather than trying to minimize screen time, I think parents and teachers should try to maximize creative time. The focus shouldn’t be on which technologies children are using, but rather what children are doing with them. Some uses of new technologies foster creative thinking; others restrict it. The same is true for older technologies. Rather than trying to choose between high-tech, low-tech, and no-tech, parents and teachers should be searching for activities that will engage children in creative thinking and creative expression." (click: full article)
Professor of Learning Research at MIT Media Lab, director of Lifelong Kindergarten research group, and co-director of the Scratch Team